Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Chevrolet HHR/Nissan Cube are Dumb.

I recently attended the Pittsburgh Autoshow. I made some observations. I've summarized some key points below:

1. American cars are generally <sarcasm>"exquisite"</sarcasm>.
2. The Koreans are up and coming.
3. Mercedes-Benz (Daimler AG) must have contracted automotive syphilis (lousy plastic interiors & overpriced cars?) from its near decade long relationship with Chrysler.
4. The Volkswagen Group (subsidiary of Porsche), owner of subsidiaries like Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Škoda, MAN AG (buses), and Lamborghini, is a rising star of European automotive industry.

But two cars I could not get my head around to understand or ever appreciate are the Chevrolet HHR & Nissan Cube.

So I spent 5 minutes to research these two automotive abominations and this is what I turned up.

The Chevy HHR was designed by Bryan Nesbitt.

Nesbitt designed the Chrysler PT Cruiser. So apparently he worked at Daimler-Chrysler, designed the PT Cruiser & then got recruited by GM. Where he designed the Chevy HHR. I must admit I hate the PT Cruiser - it is a horrible car (I had the misfortune of riding in one that was a cab), but at least it was... different and was a pioneer in the whole retro-movement (the PT Cruiser also allowed Chrysler to raise its "truck" CAFE fuel economy and dodge some fines). But what was he thinking? Trying to be eco-friendly by saving some design paper?

One of the three HHRs I saw at the Autoshow did not have any windows in the rear - and one had to open the front doors to open the back doors. I thought it was a "boom boom" car. But apparently it is a delivery van - only dumb.

Any reasonable person knows - that if you want an American delivery van, you go with a Ford Transit. Why? Because it is not assembled in America, has won multiple international awards for the delivery van category, and has been driven around the Nürburgring in 10 minutes 8 seconds.

As for the Nissan Cube. I saw it at the car show - but it was locked so I wasn't able to explore it. Nissan is promoting it under the slogan "Symmetry is so last year."

But... aren't boxy cars? (i.e. Scion xB, Honda Element).

One thing I'll give credit to the Cube designers is that the larger windows near the C-pillar on the right side of the vehicle actually reduces the blind spot for the driver - but... really? It is essentially a Nissan Versa (same platform, transmission, engine) - but... with a smaller boot, heavier curb weight, and worse fuel economy. Why? Why would anyone want to pay for one? Why would anyone spend $$$ to design this thing and waste the capital to promote it?

1 comment:

J.K. Bond said...

Re: the Chevy HHR

wow...can a car get any uglier? I mean, at least be like Hyundai and rip off the good looking designs of other brands.