Monday, March 23, 2009

Black Man Toothpaste.

黑人牙膏 literally means "Black Man Toothpaste."

I love this toothpaste, and always request for the green tea flavored variety. Every time I go back to Taiwan, I make a mental note of bringing some back. If there is someone from Taiwan visiting (and they're nice enough to ask me if I need anything), I make a request for this toothpaste.

But I can't help but laugh dryly at the lack of uh... cultural sensitivity.

So basically the pitch for the toothpaste was look at how white the black guy's teeth is - use our toothpaste. Keep in mind, we never had institutionalized slavery in Taiwan, and the racism that exists there is generally due to a lack of exposure to the diversity and ignorance instead of malice or scapegoating.

But yah... this is the Taiwanese version of Uncle Ben or Aunt Jemima.

No comments: