Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Drug Induced Indifference.

Aside from the fact that it binds to opioid receptors, I don't exactly know the pharmacology of vicodin. But after having taking it (with a legitimate prescription), I can't say I care.

It is potent stuff. I would describe its effect as... indifference. For the last two days, when the pain of the empty tooth socket was inconvenient or unbearable, I took the prescribed dosage. After approximately 15-30 minutes, I stopped caring.

Now... don't get me wrong, the drug induced indifference was not of the type that will cause me to refrain from dodging a wrench, but it was the type where there was a lack of motivation to do anything my rational brain did not not find... essential.

What is essential? Well it depends on the moment.

I had a seminar paper presentation yesterday, which I had thoroughly prepared for months earlier by researching/writing the paper, and specifically preparing for the presentation several days ahead of time.

The topic? The interpretation of price-delivery terms under the UN CISG.

Under normal circumstances, I would have been slightly to moderately nervous about the presentation. I was giving it before a class of people, including one of the most respected authority on the UN CISG.

I went to the classroom about 30 minutes before class was to begin, plugged in my computer and got the projector setup. I was not indifferent to the presentation - I wanted to do well, but for some reason, I was just completely indifferent the possibility that I could fail miserably and get laughed out of the classroom. I thought... well I've prepared for this, I am as ready as can be - why should I worry about it? What good will my worries do?


Once I regained my ability for reflection and introspection - I had an awakening!

The indifference allowed a level of unsurpassed rational focus on the present.

I suspect vicodin limits my ability to anticipate the future. This is obviously not good when person is operating a motor vehicle, but is quite helpful when the individual is in a controlled environment, where they are expected to execute a well-rehearsed plan/act.


What is the significance of this? Well... it is now my hypothesis that North Koreans are all high on vicodin.

Watch this video - nuff said.

No comments: