Friday, April 3, 2009

Behold the mighty OXO Y Peeler.


I love OXO products. They are simple, affordable, and ergonomic.

Originally intended for the arthritic, OXO products are generally nicely rubberized, well balanced, and impervious to wear and tear in the kitchen.

I have had my $7 dollar OXO "Good Grips" Y Peeler for almost 7 years. It is still sharp and as easy to use as when it was fresh out of the box. The peeler's handle has a good circumference (other peeler's lend to be too narrow and rounded, which does not fit the closed human hand).The soft touch finish makes it comfortable to use for peeling up to 20 pounds of potatoes in a single sitting (I have to take a break after 21).

I award this product five out of five truffles.

<semi-serious>

If I were in charge of product development at OXO, I may steer them towards the direction of surgical equipments. OXO already makes a mandoline slicer - which in my lay opinion - can easily be modified to work as a dermatome (medical instrument which plastic surgeons use to take thin sheets of skin for grafts).

More ergonomic tools = less fatigued surgeons. Which will most certainly increase the number of procedures they may attempt while decreasing the number of medical errors caused by fatigue.

I'll assume that the soft-touch rubber and plastic may have to come out (since you probably can't put either materials in an autoclave), but maybe they can replace the soft touch rubber with the silicon material utilized in most soft spatulas (which are resistant to temperatures of up to 480°F/248.8°C).

</semi-serious>

No comments: