Saturday, January 16, 2010

iPhone 3GS review.

As previously mentioned, I got myself an iPhone 3GS, so here's a quick product review of the Apple iPhone 3GS.

I'm please to say it has been a pleasant replacement to my previous Nokia 6555, which had a bad habit of turning itself off randomly and also had a tendency to BEEP really loud right into my ear when people hung up or when the connection died.

The phone itself is relatively large, it isn't the smallest or the thinnest, but it is small enough to fit within my pant pockets. My phone is covered with the SwitchEasy Colors silicone case, and I think it improves the look of the phone, which in my opinion looks pretty snobby and tacky in the nude (maybe because I have a distaste for the Apple logo and the company's marketing).

The phone has been a godsend at work, as I can occupy and distract the 80% of the un-utilized brain capacity by listening to podcasts, music, and radio. The phone also allows me to be more spontaneous, because I can look up information, maps, and check the email account whenever I want to. In addition, being able to surf and read the news while on the bus is pretty nice. The face proximity sensor is also pretty darn good, as you can hold a phone to your face without concern on whether you'll push any buttons.

However, the phone is not perfect. My biggest criticism?

The phone's battery life makes it basically a one day phone, sort of like a PDA of old. If left unused, the iPhone will retain more or less than 70% of its battery capacity after one day. However, with moderate/heavy usage, the phone will be down to 30% by the time I go to bed and plug it in. This limitation really hasn't a problem, but I can see it being an inconvenience for people with a less regular lifestyle.

As a parting note, I think anyone considering a smartphone should consider the iPhone, however, don't let the availability of applications be a dispositive factor, as most apps available are total crap.

No comments: