Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Old Country Currency.

We recently had to make some unexpected travel arrangements for the old country. Because of the rapid development of events that necessitated the unexpected travel arrangements, the Mrs. and I were relatively unprepared. We thought we didn't have any old country currency, and because the scheduled flight would arrive rather late at Chiang-Kai Shek International Airport, we were concerned about having to sit around in the airport overnight until the currency exchange was open for business.

Thankfully I remembered I had a wallet I exclusively used in Taiwan...


This is the only old country money I brought left.

All the currency is logically sized - and a visually-impaired person can tell the difference between the different notes.All the "paper" currency is actually plastic. The 500 NT note has a youth baseball team on the front, and a Taiwanese deer on the reverse. The 100 NT pictures the founding father Sun Yat-sen on the front, and the reverse is covered by a picture of the Sun Yat-sen Memorial. The largest coin is 10 NT, the intermediate size 5 NT, and the smallest is the 1 NT.

Having 626NT, the equivalent of $21.19 USD, will get you to any major city from the airport, with change to spare for some simple nutrition. But the increasingly weak USD plus annual inflation might be catching up to me, and I may need update my emergency travel kit... maybe I'll get another 1000 NT note.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I wish I'd known! I still have a couple NT around here: I would have posted it off to da'Burgh for you guys.